Why Ibom Air passenger faced court action and K1 did not – NCAA

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has explained the circumstances behind the prosecution of Comfort Emmanson, the female passenger accused of assaulting Ibom Air crew members, and why Fuji music legend, Wasiu Ayinde, popularly known as Kwam 1, did not face similar court charges after allegedly disrupting a ValueJet flight.

The Uyo–Lagos incident involving Emmanson on Sunday drew widespread public outrage and accusations of selective justice. Viral videos captured the passenger slapping and kicking airline and airport staff, including a female air hostess, after repeatedly refusing instructions to switch off her phone before take-off. Security personnel were later seen dragging her off the aircraft.

This confrontation came just days after Ayinde was accused of obstructing ValueJet’s morning service (Flight VK 201) from Abuja to Lagos on August 5 — an incident that also sparked public criticism.

Speaking on Channels Television’s The Morning Brief on Tuesday, NCAA’s Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Mike Achimugu, said the two cases were not the same.

“There is no comparison here; it’s not a case of oranges and oranges. In the Kwam 1 incident, the airline did not activate its rights to take the passenger to court. The NCAA fulfilled its role by petitioning the authorities. In the Ibom Air incident, the airline immediately activated its right to pursue the matter legally because their staff had been assaulted,” Achimugu explained.

He stressed that the NCAA was not directly involved in Emmanson’s prosecution, but in Kwam 1’s case, the authority issued an advisory to the Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) to place the musician on an indefinite flight ban pending investigations — contrary to earlier reports of a six-month suspension.

According to Achimugu, the no-fly ban on Emmanson was a decision by the airline operators, who have the legal authority to take such action.

Read Also: Obi condemns arraignment of Ibom Air passenger

“We have limited aircraft capacity in Nigeria, so any risk to an aircraft is unacceptable. These planes cost huge sums to lease or purchase. If something had happened to that aircraft, could she have afforded the repairs?” he asked.

He added that the Ibom Air plane was scheduled for another flight, and removing the passenger was necessary to avoid further disruptions.

Achimugu assured that the matter would be handled fairly but warned that unruly passenger behaviour would not be tolerated.

“No matter the provocation, passengers can always file complaints with the NCAA. We will ensure fairness on all sides,” he said.

In a related development, Achimugu took to X (formerly Twitter) to call on passengers who were on the Ibom Air flight to share their eyewitness accounts to ensure a balanced investigation.

He confirmed that NCAA officers in Lagos would conduct a fact-finding mission involving the police and aviation security personnel.

“This incident is a test for the system. It shows us the gaps and loopholes in our regulations, and gives us an opportunity to close them,” he concluded.

Court gives FG September deadline to conclude 10-year trial of ex-NSA, Dasuki

The Federal High Court, Abuja has given the Federal Government a September deadline to conclude prosecution of former National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Col. Sambo Dasuki over alleged unlawful possession of firearms and money laundering.

Justice Peter Lifu fixed Sept. 24, 25, and 26 for the Federal Government to call any remaining witnesses and tender all exhibits in support of the charges, which have been pending for a decade.

Dasuki, who was first arraigned in 2015 was facing a seven-count amended charge and was expected to open his defence once the prosecution closed its case.

At the last hearing, a prosecution witness, Monsur Mohammed, told the court that following Dasuki’s arrest, his residences in Abuja, Kaduna, and Sokoto were searched for arms and cash.

Led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Mr Oladipupo Okpeseyi (SAN), the witness, an exhibits keeper with the Department of State Services (DSS), listed items recovered from Dasuki’s Abuja residence at 46, Nelson Mandela Street, Asokoro.

At Dasuki’s House at 46, Nelson Mandela Street, Asokoro, he listed two Compact Disc of Freedom Radio on Jokolo, two GT Bank Cheque books, two blackberries phones, Nokia phone, flash drive, Apple Laptop and statement of account as part of items found in the house.

Read Also: Court acquits Medical Doctor of cybercrime charges 

Others were a Visa card, approval letter of a radio station granted to Afri-Media Integrated Ltd, one CD on arrest and execution of Mohammed Yusuf, 500 US Dollars and 533 Saudi Riyadh.

Also recovered were an HSBC account book and a Cheque book of Habibson Ltd of Abubakar Ibrahim.

The court admitted the items as Exhibits MSD 015 to 034 following no objection from Dasuki’s lawyer, Mr Ahmed Usman.

At Dasuki’s residence in Sabo Birni, Sokoto State, the exhibits keeper claimed that 150,000 dollars were recovered in the house and subsequently deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The prosecutor said he would ask the DSS to bring the cash to court to be tendered as exhibits.

At the Sultan Abubakar Road, Sokoto house, the witness told the court that no items were found.

At this stage, the federal government counsel applied for an adjournment to enable him bring before the court other items found in Dasuki’s house during the four search warrants executed in the houses.

Justice Lifu while granting the adjournment request directed the federal government to be ready to close its case against the defendant and for Dasuki to open his defence.

The judge subsequently adjourned the case until Sept. 24, 25 and 26.(NAN)

Newlywed couple, three others die in Katsina auto crash

Tragedy struck in Katsina State on Monday as a newly married couple and three others lost their lives in a fatal accident along the Kurfi–Katsina road, near the Abattoir area of the Katsina metropolis.

The victims, identified as Abdulsalami Yusuf Kankara, 37, and his wife, Malama Zainab, were reportedly returning from Kurfi Local Government Area, where they had visited another couple who recently suffered a miscarriage.

Read Also: Court upholds FRSC’s sanction over tampered number plate

According to residents, the couple were on their way home when the accident occurred, instantly claiming their lives along with three others.

Authorities have not yet released full details of the crash, but the incident has plunged the community into deep mourning. Locals described the deaths as “a huge tragedy” and a devastating blow to the area.

Taylor Swift announces new album ‘The Life of a Showgirl’

Global pop superstar Taylor Swift has announced her 12th original studio album, The Life of a Showgirl.

The surprise reveal came early Tuesday as a countdown on Swift’s official website reached 12:12 a.m. ET.

In a teaser video posted on Instagram, the Grammy-winning singer appeared on a sneak preview of her upcoming guest spot on Travis Kelce’s New Heights podcast, pulling out a mint-green briefcase with her initials “TS” and declaring: “This is my brand new album.”

Swift did not disclose a release date, but fans will learn more when her New Heights episode airs Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET. The announcement followed a cryptic Instagram carousel of 12 images on Monday that fueled speculation among her followers.

Read Also: Davido’s ‘Timeless’ album earns silver certification in UK

This marks Swift’s first new album since concluding her record-breaking Eras Tour in December and the first since regaining full ownership of her entire music catalog.

The album is now available for pre-order in vinyl, cassette, and CD formats via her official website.

Her last studio project, The Tortured Poets Department, was a 31-track double album released in 2024 during the Eras Tour.

Swift has since completed her re-recording project, releasing multiple “Taylor’s Version” albums to reclaim her master recordings following a high-profile dispute over their sale.

FULL LIST: Tinubu replaces FCC Chair nominee, appoints Ayo Omidiran as new head

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has withdrawn the reappointment of Dr. Muheeba Dankaka as Chairperson of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) and named former House of Representatives member, Hon. Ayo Omidiran, as the new head of the agency.

According to a statement from the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Dankaka’s initial renomination was reversed due to controversies that trailed her tenure.

In the latest appointments, Tinubu named Mohammed Musa as the FCC Secretary, while retaining Kayode Oladele from Ogun State as a Commissioner. Oladele, a former federal lawmaker appointed in 2024, had been serving as the acting chairman of the Commission.

Read Also: Tinubu appoints Rinsola Abiola as CLTC DG

The President also renewed the appointments of Lawal Ya’u Roni (Jigawa), Abubakar Atiku Bunu (Kebbi), and Eludayo Eluyemi (Osun) for a second term, alongside Abdulwasiu Kayode Bawalla, Commissioner representing Lagos State.

New Commissioners Appointed:

1.            Abia: Hon. Obina Oriaku

2.            Adamawa: Mrs. Bema Olvadi Madayi

3.            Akwa Ibom: Obongawan Dora Ebong

4.            Anambra: Hon. Nnoli Nkechi Gloria

5.            Bauchi: Babangida Adamu Gwana

6.            Bayelsa: Sir Tonye Okio

7.            Benue: Aligba Eugene Tarkende

8.            Borno: Engr. Modu Mustapha

9.            Cross River: Dr. Stella Odey Ekpo

10.          Delta: Ederin Lovette Idisi

11.          Ebonyi: Barr. Nwokpor Vincent Nduka

12.          Edo: Hon. Chief Victor Sabor Edoror

13.          Ekiti: Hon. Sola Fokanle

14.          Enugu: Peter Eze

15.          Gombe: Ibrahim Baba Mairiga

16.          Imo: Hon. Jerry Alagbaoso

17.          Kaduna: Ruth Jumai Ango

18.          Kano: Muhammad Awwal Nayya

19.          Katsina: Hon. Anas Isah

20.          Kogi: Bello Idris Eneye

21.          Kwara: Dr. Ibrahim Abdullahi

22.          Niger: Alh. Isah Jibrin

23.          Ondo: Comrade Ajimudu Bola

24.          Oyo: Prince Ayodeji Abas Aleshinloye

25.          Plateau: Hon. Pam Bolman

26.          Rivers: Aaron Chukwuemeka

27.          Sokoto: Alh. Aminu Tambar

28.          Taraba: Comrade Bobboi Bala Kaigama

29.          Yobe: Hon. Jibir Maigari

30.          Zamfara: Sani Garba

31.          FCT: Solomon Ayuba Dagami

The new appointments signal Tinubu’s intent to reposition the FCC for greater efficiency and transparency.

FULL STEPS: How to obtain tinted glass permit in Nigeria

The Nigeria Police Force on Monday announced an extension of the grace period for enforcing the Tinted Glass Permit requirement for vehicles with tinted windows, moving the new enforcement date to October 2, 2025.

Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, approved the extension following a surge in applications through the official portal.

Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Muyiwa Adejobi, said in a statement that the decision was influenced by the growing compliance of motorists.

“This decision follows a significant increase in applications via the official platform, showing heightened public compliance. The extra time will allow thorough scrutiny of each application to ensure permits go only to qualified individuals, in line with national security considerations,” Adejobi explained.

Read Also: Sowore to face criminal charges in court – Police

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to obtain tinted glass permit

To get started, applicants must go to the Police Specialized Services Automation Project (POSSAP) portal at www.possap.gov.ng. They’ll need to sign up using either their National Identification Number (NIN), Bank Verification Number (BVN), or Tax Identification Number (TIN).

1.            Visit https://possap.gov.ng and register using your NIN, BVN, or TIN.

2.            Fill in your correct personal details and click “Create Account.”

3.            A code will be sent to your email—enter it to verify your account.

4.            Log in using your email and password.

5.            Click “Select Service” and choose “Tinted Glass Permit.”

6.            Enter your vehicle information and upload required documents.

7.            Double-check your details, then submit.

8.            Make your payment online.

9.            You’ll be scheduled for a vehicle inspection and biometric capture at the nearest NPF Intelligence Department.

FULL STEPS: How to obtain tinted glass permit in Nigeria

Tinubu appoints Rinsola Abiola as CLTC DG

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Ms. Derinsola “Rinsola” Abiola, daughter of the late Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale (MKO) Abiola, as the new Director-General of the Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre (CLTC).

The appointment has drawn commendation from the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), which described the choice as “a round peg in a round hole.”

In a statement signed by its National Public Relations Officer, Comrade Adeyemi Samson Ajasa, NANS praised President Tinubu for what it called a “thoughtful and well-deserved” decision.

Read Also: Tinubu appoints Olumode Adeyemi as new FFS boss

Before her elevation, Ms. Abiola served as the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on Citizenship and Leadership, where she was credited with advancing initiatives in national development, civic responsibility, and youth empowerment. NANS said her performance in that role demonstrated “unwavering focus, competence, and dedication.”

“This new appointment is a testament to her track record and the confidence reposed in her by the President,” the association said, expressing optimism that her tenure as DG would further strengthen youth leadership, national unity, and civic responsibility in Nigeria.

NANS pledged its full support for Ms. Abiola in her new role, urging her to remain steadfast and committed to delivering impactful results for the nation.

Chief MKO Abiola, Ms. Abiola’s late father, was the presumed winner of the annulled 1993 presidential election and is widely remembered as a symbol of democracy in Nigeria.

Police extend tinted glass permit enforcement to October 2

The Nigeria Police Force has announced an extension of the grace period for enforcing the Tinted Glass Permit requirement for vehicles with tinted windows, moving the new enforcement date to October 2, 2025.

Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, approved the extension following a surge in applications through the official portal.

Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Muyiwa Adejobi, said in a statement that the decision was influenced by the growing compliance of motorists.

“This decision follows a significant increase in applications via the official platform, showing heightened public compliance. The extra time will allow thorough scrutiny of each application to ensure permits go only to qualified individuals, in line with national security considerations,” Adejobi explained.

Read Also: Police arraign serial killer ‘Olori Esho’ for alleged murder

He added that the additional time will also enable the Police to fine-tune both digital and physical verification processes, ensuring the integrity of the system and preventing abuse.

The Force emphasized that the only authorized application channel for the permit is https://possap.gov.ng, urging the public to ignore any unofficial sources.

Citizens have been advised to report cases of extortion, hidden charges, or unauthorized processing through official channels, including the dedicated hotline 09169967000.

The statement concluded with an appeal for public cooperation as the Police aim to balance convenience with strong national security measures.

BREAKING: EFCC arrests ex-Sokoto Gov Tambuwal over alleged N189bn fraud

Former Sokoto State governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged fraudulent cash withdrawals amounting to ₦189 billion.

Sources told VANGUARD that Tambuwal arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja at about 11:30 a.m. on Monday and is currently being interrogated by investigators.

According to a senior EFCC official, the withdrawals, which allegedly took place during Tambuwal’s tenure as governor, are in breach of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

Read Also: EFCC drops fraud cases against Oba Otudeko

“The withdrawals are in clear violation of the Money Laundering Act,” the source disclosed, noting that the anti-graft agency has been probing the matter for several months.

EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, said he would not comment on the case until the interrogation is concluded.

Tambuwal, a prominent member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), governed Sokoto State from 2015 to 2023. He also previously served as Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Further updates on the investigation are expected in the coming hours.

Protest: Bi-Courtney apologises for flight schedule disruptions

Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Ltd., operators of the Murtala Muhammed Airport Terminal Two (MMA2), has apologised to passengers, who experienced inconveniences and flight schedule  disruptions caused by a protest by Farmcraft Centre for the Blind.

This is contained in a statement signed by the Head of Corporate Communications at Bi-Courtney, Mrs Ajoke Yinka-Olawuyi, on Monday in Lagos.

“While we want to re-assure you that MMA2 remains open and all airport operations continue as usual, we recognise that any disruption to your travel plans causes significant inconvenience and frustration.

“We deeply regret the impact this situation has had on your journey.

Read Also: Ibom Air passenger Comfort Emmanson remanded in Kirikiri after assaulting crew

“Our staff and security teams are actively monitoring the situation and working diligently to minimise disruptions while ensuring a smooth experience for all travellers,” she said.

The official said that the organisation was committed to resolving the matter as quickly and safely as possible.

“We thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation during this challenging time,”  Yinka-Olawuyi said

She gave the assurance that the organisation would continue to provide updates.

She advised the flying public to monitor real-time updates on flight schedules and airport operations on its official channels.

(NAN)