3SC boss mourns Coach Olowookere’s death

Chairman of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC), Hon. Lekan Salami has expressed deep sorrow over the sudden death of the club’s assistant coach, Akin Olowookere.

Salami, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), described his death as a tragic loss to the football community.

He said the incident occurred on the training pitch on Monday morning, adding that the coach reportedly suffered cardiac arrest and slumped.

Read Also: Former President Buhari dies at 82

He noted that Olowookere had no reported health issues, speculating that an undiagnosed condition could have been a factor.

“It is extremely sad for the 3SC family, the Oyo state government, myself, coaching crew and fans,” he said.

The chairman condoled with the immediate family of the coach, Oyo state government, and football lovers across the country, describing his demise as a huge loss to the club and sports in general.

Salami noted that despite joining 3SC just three weeks prior, Olowookere’s outstanding coaching abilities and warm demeanor had already won over the players and management.

(NAN)

BBNaija Season 10: Danboskid becomes first Housemate to be evicted

Daniel Olatunji, popularly known as Danboskid, has become the first housemate to be evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija Season 10 reality show.

The 25-year-old entrepreneur, actor and model from Ekiti State was shown the door after polling the lowest number of votes from viewers.

During his brief stay, Danboskid caught viewers’ attention after getting into a “ship” with fellow housemate Zita, sparking conversations among fans about their budding connection.

Read Also: BBNaija: Sultana, Koyin plan matching tattoos

Born on April 8, 2000, Danboskid entered the BBNaija house with the hope of showcasing his personality and promoting his brand. “I believe being in the house is an opportunity for me to showcase myself and promote my brand. I’ve been in the entertainment industry for a while now and I believe I have what it takes to make Biggie proud,” he had said before the show began.

A former Mr. Ideal Nigeria winner and 1st runner-up at the Mister Africa International pageant, Danboskid described himself as an expressive, versatile, charismatic and bold individual. He revealed his hidden talent as acting and hoped to use his time in the house to sharpen the skill.

Although single and “not exactly searching,” Danboskid admitted that past heartbreaks had shaped his view on relationships, joking that he might just remain the “cool uncle with different ladies at different events.”

His eviction marks the first exit in what promises to be another drama-filled season of BBNaija.

NDLEA arrests Lagos General Overseer for masterminding cross-border drug trafficking

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested Prophet Adefolusho Aanu Olasele, founder and General Overseer of The Turn of Mercy Church, for allegedly masterminding multiple cross-border drug shipments into Nigeria.

Popularly known as Abbas Ajakaiye, the cleric was apprehended on Sunday, August 3, 2025, at his church in Okun Ajah, Ogombo Road, Lekki, Lagos. NDLEA operatives reportedly kept watch from morning until the conclusion of the evening service before moving in to arrest him.

According to NDLEA spokesperson Femi Babafemi, the arrest followed months of pursuit after the seizure of two large consignments of Ghana Loud, a potent strain of cannabis, linked to the suspect. The first seizure, weighing 200 kilograms, was made at Okun Ajah beach on June 4, 2025, while another 700 kilograms were recovered from his delivery van on July 6, 2025. Prophet Olasele allegedly admitted transporting the drugs through waterways from Ghana into Nigeria and fleeing to Ghana after evading arrest twice.

In a related operation in Lagos on August 7, NDLEA officers raided an apartment at Parkview Estate, Ikoyi, where they arrested a suspect, Benjamin Udo Ukoh, and recovered 32 pouches of Canadian Loud weighing 15.63 kilograms.

Read Also: NDLEA intercepts large cocaine, tramadol consignments at Lagos airport

The agency also recorded significant seizures in other states. In Nasarawa, on August 9, operatives recovered 3,093 kilograms of skunk from three suspects — Emmanuel Asoquo Johnny, 51; Okem Raphael, 33; and Chekwube Odo, 25 — in the New Karu area. In Kano, arrests included 29-year-old Nura Yahaya, found with 359 kilograms of skunk; 27-year-old Umar Adamu Umar, caught with nine kilograms of Colorado; and 30-year-old Usman Musa, who was intercepted with 20,000 tramadol pills and 200 diazepam ampoules.

In Gombe, a raid on an uncompleted building in Tudun Wadan Pantami on August 8 led to the recovery of 550,266 tramadol pills, with a suspect, Usama Isah, taken into custody. The following day, Ibrahim Adamu, 23, was arrested along Potiskum road in Bajoga with 50,000 tramadol capsules. In Edo State, NDLEA operatives on August 6 intercepted a white Toyota Hiace bus at Ewu junction, recovering 23,940 tramadol capsules, 1,100 tablets of the same opioid, and 400 ampoules of pentazocine injection. The driver, identified as Taiye Jethro, was arrested.

Meanwhile, the NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization campaign across the country during the past week. Awareness lectures were delivered in schools, worship centres, military formations, workplaces and communities, including Mind City College in Saki, Oyo State; Gwagwarwa Primary School in Nasarawa LGA of Kano State; the Nigerian Army 241 Recce Model Battalion in Nguru, Yobe State; and to members of the Engine Grinders Association in Gboko, Benue State. The Ekiti State command also visited the Nigerian Correctional Service in Ado Ekiti, while the Anambra State command paid a similar advocacy visit to the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.

Commending the operations, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd), praised the officers of the Lagos, Nasarawa, Gombe, Kano and Edo commands for their arrests, seizures and professionalism, urging them to sustain their balanced approach to drug control across the nation.

Adeboye predicts peaceful death after Sunday church service

General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, has revealed how he believes his life will end, describing it as a peaceful and well-planned transition.

Speaking on Thursday, August 7, during the evening session of the 73rd Annual RCCG Convention at the Old Auditorium, Redemption City, along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, the 83-year-old cleric said his departure would come after a joyful Sunday service.

Read Also: Adeboye recounts near-death experience seven years ago

“It’s going to be on a Sunday. I would go to church for service, dance very well, and return home. I will eat pounded yam, then I will go,” Adeboye told the congregation while leading prayers on the theme Possessing Your Possession.

The revered preacher urged members not to question how he knew the timing of his transition, stressing that death does not have to follow illness. He made the remarks while ministering on divine healing, alongside other prayer points on prosperity, fruitfulness, longevity, and victory over the forces of darkness.

Quoting 2 Corinthians 8:9, Adeboye maintained that prosperity is a covenant right for Christians, urging believers to reject poverty, which he described as a tool of the devil to hinder the spread of the gospel.

Viral ‘Lagos is smelling’ corps member Raye claims NYSC denied her certificate

Youth corps member Ushie Rita Uguamaye, better known as Raye, has alleged she was denied her National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge certificate after completing her service year in Lagos State.

Raye, who gained online attention for a viral video where she described Lagos as “smelling” and criticised President Bola Tinubu’s government, recounted her ordeal in a recent video.

She claimed the Eti-Osa Local Government Inspector (LGI) refused to clear her for April, despite her being present on the scheduled date.

According to her, the LGI repeatedly sent her to the back of the line before eventually seizing her file, refusing to process her clearance, and ordering her to leave.

Read Also: Top 10 States with the best NYSC Orientation Camps in Nigeria 2025

Although disappointed, Raye said she has decided to move on from the incident, describing her service year in Lagos as “a waste of my time.”

In a post, Corper Raye wrote: “I was contemplating if I should share this or not, but just decided to. After 1 year of moving to another man’s land, to serve my country, ended with no certificate and telling me to come for final verdict that we already know how it’ll end. I genuinely wish I wasn’t a Lagos state Corper because it’s a waste of my time.

“I can’t say moving here was bad but serving here isn’t all pleasure. Just to add to it, they said the reason I’m not getting my certificate is because I didn’t clear myself for the month of April on my scheduled date.

“But what they aren’t saying is how I was present to get cleared, yet the LgI kept asking me to go to the back and when she finally wanted to attend to me she said she won’t clear me.

“She seized my file and told me to get out this is a long story and I don’t mind waking up midnight to tell the story.

“The deep rooted anger I feel and hatred is crazy because I don’t know who to direct it to. But I wish myself the best. And I’m closing this chapter.”

Amaechi denies election rigging, vows to end malpractice if elected president

Former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has declared that he has never been involved in election rigging, challenging any politician, “living or dead,” to present evidence against him.

Speaking on Saturday during a conversation on X Spaces, Amaechi alleged that electoral malpractice in Nigeria often involves state governors and the diversion of public funds through government agencies.

Read Also: I have no regrets working against Jonathan in 2015 – Amaechi

“I will never participate in any rigging whatsoever. What I promise to do now, going forward, is to stop rigging,” he said, adding that he would apologise only if proven guilty.

Amaechi, who recently declared interest in contesting the 2027 presidential election under the African Democratic Congress (ADC), said he is ready to serve only one term to maintain Nigeria’s power rotation agreement between the North and South.

29 European countries to scrap passport stamps

Starting October 12, 29 European countries will begin phasing out traditional passport stamps in favour of a new digital Entry/Exit System (EES), with full implementation expected by April 10, 2026.

The system will record the entry and exit of non-European travellers using fingerprint and facial recognition technology, aiming to speed up border checks and improve security across the Schengen Area.

Read Also: Seven Asian countries Nigerians can visit without visa

The EES will also help authorities track overstays, detect false identities, and curb visa-free travel abuse, while offering travellers self-service options to submit information in advance, reducing wait times at border crossings.

Here are 29 participating countries are:

1.            Austria

2.            Belgium

3.            Bulgaria

4.            Croatia

5.            Czechia

6.            Denmark

7.            Estonia

8.            Finland

9.            France

10.          Germany

11.          Greece

12.          Hungary

13.          Iceland

14.          Italy

15.          Latvia

16.          Liechtenstein

17.          Lithuania

18.          Luxembourg

19.          Malta

20.          Netherlands

21.          Norway

22.          Poland

23.          Portugal

24.          Romania

25.          Slovakia

26.          Slovenia

27.          Spain

28.          Sweden

29.          Switzerland

UK politicians should focus on British issues, not Nigeria – Kemi Badenoch

UK Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch has urged politicians in the United Kingdom to prioritise domestic issues over foreign matters, including those relating to Nigeria.

Speaking in an interview with GB News, Badenoch emphasised that her main identity is British, despite her Nigerian ancestry and early upbringing. She said the BBC had slightly misrepresented her earlier remarks but maintained that her focus remains on the UK.

“My main identity is as British. That is what I see myself as,” she explained. “As a politician in this country, we need to be very focused on what is happening here, not what’s happening elsewhere. And every day, I see loads of Labour MPs in particular talking about every other country except the UK.”

Read Also: Kemi Badenoch: My kids couldn’t get citizenship in Nigeria, but Nigerians easily get UK citizenship

Badenoch criticised what she described as a growing tendency among some lawmakers to comment more on international affairs than on domestic challenges, insisting that integration and commitment to British values should be a priority.

“If you come to this country, you need to be very focused on making sure that you integrate. And if you’re a politician, you need to be 100% focused on British issues. And that’s basically what I was saying,” she added.

Her comments also echo a recent statement on the Rosebud podcast, where she disclosed that she had not renewed her Nigerian passport in over 20 years and no longer considers herself Nigerian by identity.

“I’m Nigerian through ancestry, by birth, despite not being born there because of my parents. But by identity, I’m not really. I know the country very well, I have a lot of family there, and I’m very interested in what happens there,” she said during the August 1 episode.

Badenoch’s remarks have sparked fresh debate on the role of identity and foreign policy focus in British politics.

Nigeria has lost a patriot in Audu Ogbeh — Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has expressed heartfelt condolences on the passing of Chief Audu Ogbeh, a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), describing him as a great patriot.

‎‎Ogbeh, 78, died peacefully on Saturday, according to a statement from his family.

‎In a condolence message by his spokesperson, Mr Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu sympathised with the government and people of Benue State.

‎‎The president also extended his condolences to Ogbeh’s family, friends, and political associates.

Read Also: Audu Ogbeh served Nigeria with integrity, commitment – Northern Governors

‎Ogbeh, served Nigeria in several administrations, including as Minister of Communications in the Second Republic and later as Minister of Agriculture under President Muhammadu Buhari.

‎Tinubu praised Ogbeh’s deep intellect and his ability to craft solutions to complex national issues.

‎He noted that Ogbeh began his political career in the 1970s as a legislator and was a founding member of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

‎“Chief Audu Ogbeh was a patriot whose wisdom, dedication, and pursuit of progress left an indelible mark on Nigeria’s political landscape.”

‎”He was always ready with facts and figures to support his propositions. The nation will sorely miss his insightful perspectives and wealth of experience,” Tinubu said.

‎The president prayed that the Almighty God will receive the departed’s soul, and comfort his family.

(NAN)

Benjamin Sesko joins Manchester United in £74m deal

Manchester United have confirmed the signing of RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko in a deal worth £73.7 million.

The Slovenia international has signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford, with the agreement including a guaranteed £66.3 million payment and the rest in performance-related add-ons.

Sesko, 22, becomes United’s third major attacking addition this summer, following the arrivals of Matheus Cunha (£62.5m) and Bryan Mbeumo (£65m, including £6m in add-ons).

The highly-rated forward was also a transfer target for Newcastle United but opted to join Ruben Amorim’s project at United.

Manchester United endured a disappointing 2024/25 campaign, finishing 15th in the Premier League, while Newcastle secured fifth place, qualified for the Champions League, and lifted the EFL Cup.

Read Also: Bryan Mbeumo set for Manchester United debut against Everton

Speaking after his unveiling, Sesko expressed his excitement about the move: “The history of Manchester United is obviously very special but what really excites me is the future. When we discussed the project, it was clear that everything is in place for this team to continue to grow and compete for the biggest trophies again soon.

Benjamin Sesko joins Manchester United in £74m deal

From the moment that I arrived, I could feel the positive energy and family environment that the club has created. It is clearly the perfect place to reach my maximum level and fulfil all of my ambitions.

I cannot wait to start learning from Ruben and connecting with my team-mates to achieve the success that we all know we are capable of together.”

Sesko’s arrival is expected to strengthen United’s attacking options significantly as the club aims to rebuild and challenge for silverware in the coming seasons.