‘Isese’ Day promotes cultural heritage — Lagos lawmaker 

A Lagos lawmaker, Mr Stephen Ogundipe, says  the Isese (Sacred) Day encourages the the defence, promotion and preservation of Lagos cultural heritage with dignity and pride beyond prayers and rituals.

Ogundipe, who is also the Chairman, House Committee on Information, Security and Strategy, made this known in a statement in Lagos on Tuesday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Lagos State Government declared  Wednesday, Aug. 20 as a work free day in the state in commemoration of the ” 2025 Isese Day’.

Read Also: Lagos Assembly names new principal officers

Ogundipe, representing Oshodi-Isolo 1,urged religious tolerance, and mutual respect among all faiths and traditions, adding that it was only in unity that they could truly harness the richness of their diverse identities as a people.

“Sincerely, it is in the true believers of our noble heritage in celebrating our Traditional Rulers, High Chiefs, and revered custodians of culture, especially those who, that through daily worship, keep alive the sacred bonds with our ancestral deities.

“Isese is not merely a religious practice, it is a holistic way of life rooted in the wisdom of our forebears.

“This is anchored on prayers, offerings, and divination, and guided by the belief that ancestral spirits can illuminate our path through life’s many challenges.

“It is a cultural compass that calls us to purpose, resilience, and the fulfillment of destiny,” he said.

As we commemorate this year’s celebration, Ogundipe said it was his heartfelt prayer that Eledumare would remove out worries, ease their burdens, and grant them abundant peace, joy, and prosperity.

“May God Almighty strengthen their faith, accept the sacrifices and guide their endeavors.

“May He grant every traditional worshipper and indeed all the people of the state the true essence of this year’s Isese Day”.

NDA releases list of successful candidates for AFSB 2025

The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) has  announced the release of the authentic list of successful and reserve candidates for the Armed Forces Selection Board (AFSB) 2025.

The academy’s Public Relations Officer, Maj Mohammed Maidawa, made the announcement in a statement issued on Tuesday in Kaduna.

Read Also: Army debunks viral video of foreign arms dealer’s arrest in Zamfara

Maidawa said, “The public is advised to visit the NDA website at [https://nda.edu.ng/](https://nda.edu.ng/) as well as the Daily Trust and The Sun Newspapers of 19 August 2025 for the official list.

“We thank you for your patience and understanding.”

(NAN)

CHAN: Super Eagles B defeat Congo 2-0

Nigeria’s Super Eagles, Team B, produced a spirited performance on Tuesday evening, defeating Congo 2-0 in their final Group D match of the 2025 African Nations Championship (CHAN).

The encounter took place at the Benjamin Mkapa National Stadium in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, with kick-off at exactly 6:00 p.m. local time.

Both nations had already been eliminated following earlier poor results, but the match provided an opportunity for pride, ranking, and a chance to end the tournament with dignity.

From the outset, the clash was fiercely contested, with both sides creating scoring chances. However, defensive solidity ensured that the first half ended goalless.

Nigeria eventually found the breakthrough when Anas Yusuf struck in the 57th minute, registering the Super Eagles’ first goal of the championship.

The goal energised the Nigerian team, who pressed forward with renewed confidence, forcing Congo into defensive errors and desperate clearances.

As Congo chased an equaliser, Nigeria capitalised on counterattacks. Substitute Alimi Yusuf doubled the advantage in the 93rd minute, sealing a deserved 2-0 victory.

Read Also: 2026 WCQ: Nigeria may qualify as South Africa risk losing 3 points

The late goal effectively ended Congo’s hopes of a comeback, leaving the Congolese side in deep disappointment as they finished bottom of the group with two points.

For Nigeria, the victory brought consolation. In spite of being eliminated due to earlier losses, the win lifted them to third place in Group D, above Congo.

The Super Eagles B had endured a difficult campaign, losing their opener 0-1 to Senegal and suffering a heavy 0-4 defeat to hosts Sudan.

Those results meant their chances of qualifying for the knockout stage were already extinguished before facing Congo, leaving the team to play only for pride.

Head coach Eric Chelle praised his players’ determination, noting that the team showed improved character compared with their earlier performances.

Supporters back home expressed mixed feelings. While pleased with the victory, many decried Nigeria’s inability to progress further in the continental competition.

Congo’s performance reflected resilience, but their inability to convert chances ultimately cost them. Their two draws and one defeat ensured an early exit from the tournament.

With the group stage concluded, Senegal and Sudan advanced to the knockout rounds, leaving Nigeria and Congo to reflect on missed opportunities.

(NAN)

Police detain tricyclist over officer’s death

 The Police command in Gombe State on Tuesday confirmed the detention of a tricyclist for allegedly killing Insp Kambarawa Wazani, while enforcing the state’s motorcycle ban.

DSP Buhari Abdullahi, the command’s spokesperson, disclosed this in a press statement issued to journalists in Gombe.

He said the tragic incident occurred on Friday around 7 p.m. at the Deputy Governor’s office junction, Bauchi Road, Gombe.

According to him, the rider, speeding from Jeka da Fari, hit the officer, who later died shortly after being rushed to hospital.

“Kambarawa Wazani, 40, was hit by a reckless tricyclist during enforcement of the motorcycle restriction. Sadly, he lost his life in the line of duty,” he said.

Abdullahi confirmed that the tricyclist was detained after being discharged from hospital.

“The Command urges all road users to obey traffic rules and exercise caution, especially near police checkpoints, to avoid accidents and safeguard lives,” he said.

In a related development, Abdullahi dismissed false social media reports concerning a motorcycle accident at a police checkpoint.

Read Also: Police arrest seven suspects linked to killing of lawyer

He clarified that contrary to claims, the rider was not carrying a pregnant woman, nor was he attacked by an officer.

The spokesperson explained that the rider, Rabi’u Gidado, was alone on a Haojue Lucky motorcycle when he sighted Police Patrol 999 personnel on duty.

“In an attempt to evade the checkpoint, he accelerated, lost control, and fell, sustaining an injury to his lower limb,” Abdullahi said.

He added that the victim was immediately taken to the Federal Teaching Hospital, Gombe, where he received treatment.

“Contrary to fake reports, he was not carrying a pregnant woman. The accident resulted from reckless speeding while evading lawful enforcement,” Abdullahi stressed.

He further said that efforts were ongoing to trace the originators of the misleading report for necessary legal action.

The spokesperson reiterated that the police remained committed to public safety, security, and the rule of law, while urging residents to cooperate with directives and avoid spreading misinformation.

(NAN) 

BBNaija 10: Zita replaces Doris as new Head of House

Big Brother Naija Season 10 has taken an unexpected twist as Zita emerged the new Head of House, just 24 hours after Doris was crowned.

The development followed a surprise HOH challenger game introduced by Big Brother, where Zita outperformed fellow housemates Ivatar, Denari, Isabella, and Doris to claim the title.

Read Also: BBNaija 10: Tracy becomes Head of House for week three

With her victory, Zita secured immunity from nominations, exclusive access to the Head of House lounge, and the power to influence house dynamics for the week.

Immediately after the challenge, Biggie instructed her to select a house guest, and without hesitation, she named Rooboy.

Zita’s sudden rise to power has set the stage for shifting alliances and fresh drama in the BBNaija 10 house.

Tinubu celebrates NDDC boss Ogbuku at 50 ‎

President Bola Tinubu has extended heartfelt congratulations to Dr Samuel Ogbuku, the Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), on his 50th birthday on Tuesday.


‎The congratulatory message is contained in a statement issued by Presidential Spokesperson, Mr Bayo Onanuga, on Monday in Abuja.


‎ Ogbuku is a former executive member of the Ijaw Youth Council and a leader in the Niger Delta.

Read Also: Tinubu has been fair to all regions – Umahi

He had also served as Chief of Staff to former Bayelsa State Governor Timipre Sylva and Senior Special Assistant to former Deputy President of the Senate, Ovie Omo-Agege.


‎The President noted the NDDC’s efforts under Ogbuku in infrastructure development and interventions in health, agriculture, and environmental remediation.


‎Tinubu prayed for Ogbuku’s continued good health, wisdom, and many more years of impactful service to the nation.


‎He extends his best wishes for a joyous and memorable celebration.

(NAN) 

Bode George felicitates IBB at 84

A former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olabode George, has felicitated former Military Head of State Retired Gen.Ibrahim Babangida (IBB ), on his 84th birthday

George congratulated Babangida  in a statement in Lagos on Monday

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Babangida was Nigeria’s eighth Commander-in-Chief from 1985 to 1993.

George, a retired Commodore, was Military Governor of Old Ondo State from 1987 to 1990 ,during the Babangida years.

He described Babaginda as a patriot, visionary and selfless leader ,who contributed immensely  to national development

He said  the leadership style of the octogenarian was defined by “persuasion, charisma and a high intelligence network.

Read Also: I never once doubted Buhari’s sincerity or his patriotism – IBB

George said Babaginda articulated a vision for the future by mobilising Nigerians toward a desired goal.

He  added as Head of State, Babangida was” bold, resolute, persistent, communicative, inspirational, magnetic, open-minded, innovative, imaginative, collaborative, resolute and goal-oriented”.

The PDP chieftain said he learnt  so much  as a military governor under IBB  and in other military postings.

George said Babaginda  was  instrumental in stabilising democracy in the West African sub-region.

He cited  use of ECOWAS Monitoring Group (ECOMOG) troops by Babangida to restore stability in Liberia after civil war erupted in that country.

‘I join millions of your admirers to celebrate you as you clock 84 years. I want to boldly say, as my boss, that you have made invaluable contributions to the economic and political development of this country.

“This was right from when you joined the Nigerian Army in the 1960s. Even today, you are still mentoring the younger generation to always add value to our democratic system.

“That.is  why I strongly believe you deserve to be celebrated on your 84th birthday. Becoming Head of State at a young age of 44, you shaped the political and economic development of Nigeria in a dynamic way.

“You set out concrete steps to achieve your administration’s specific goals. When you assumed office in 1985, you met 19 states but on Sept. 23, 1987, you created Akwa Ibom and Katsina states.

“On Aug. 27, 1991, you also created nine more states: Abia, Enugu, Delta, Jigawa, Kebbi, Osun, Kogi, Taraba and Yobe, bringing the total number of states in Nigeria then to 30.

“You also created many agencies to spread development across the country.”

 (NAN) 

My journey to Olubadan throne bumpy, filled with trials – Oba Ladoja 

 Olubadan designate, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, has described his journey to the throne of Olubadan of Ibadanland as bumpy and filled with trials.

Ladoja said this while addressing hundreds of Ibadan residents that besieged his Bodija residence on Monday evening to welcome him.

He recalled his over three-decade journey through the Ibadan traditional chieftaincy, hierarchy, which uniquely requires aspirants to climb 36 carefully arranged steps, beginning from Jagun Balogun.

The former governor of Oyo State said that many of those who started the journey with him when he became Jagun Balogun were no longer alive.

Ladoja recalled that several prominent figures were present when he became Jagun, including MKO Abiola, Lamidi Adedibu, Dejo Raimi, Adebayo Alao-Akala, and Oba Lateef Adebimpe.

Others are Jimoh Alliu and popular actress, Orisabunmi, all of whom he said have since passed away, leaving him to continue the journey alone.

“It has been a journey of patience, perseverance, and the grace of God,” the Olubadan designate said.

According to him, he became Jagun Balogun of Ibadanland on Oct 1, 1993, shortly before his election as a Senator representing Oyo South in the National Assembly.

Read Also: JUST IN: Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Owolabi Olakulehin dies

“From there, I steadily rose through the ranks of the Balogun line, a process that has taken me more than 31 years before emerging as the Olubadan designate,” he said.

Ladoja explained further that “while the system is structured and predictable, the timing of ascension is never in the hands of any man, but only God decides”.

He also paid tribute to his predecessor, late Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, whom he described as a leader who upheld tradition with dignity.

The Olubadan designate said that he received the news of the demise of Oba Olakulehin with shock, saying he never imagined destiny would call him to the throne so soon.

He commiserated with the family of the late Olakulehin, the entire Olubadan Advisory Council, and the Ibadan indigenes.

Ladoja further expressed gratitude to the Olubadan Advisory Council, which officially nominated him as the next Olubadan, assuring that his relationship with the council would progress.

“I’m fully back and will commence engaging with relevant government and traditional authorities including the state governor, Oluwo and Araba of Ibadanland, as well as others, to determine how to go about the process of coronation,” he said.

The former  governor appealed to Ibadan sons and daughters at home/ abroad, and all Ibadan residents to uphold him in their prayers for God’s guidance.

“I seek your prayers for God’s wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to guide me in the discharge of this sacred duty as the new Olubadan.

” It is a huge responsibility, and I pray for divine direction to lead Ibadanland with fairness, peace, and progress,” he stated.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ladoja, who was nominated as the 44th Olubadan by the Olubadan Advisory Council on Aug. 4 following the demise of Oba Owolabi Olakulehin on July 7.

He returned to Ibadan on Monday after a long absence from Ibadan. (NAN)

‎Tinubu mourns Emir of Zuru

President Bola Tinubu has mourned the passing of the Emir of Zuru, retired Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Sami (Gomo II), praising his dedicated service to Kebbi and Nigeria.


‎The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Emir died on Saturday night in a London hospital, at the age of 81.

In a condolence message issued by his Spokesperson, Mr Bayo Onanuga, on Sunday in Abuja, the President described the Emir’s passing as a profound national loss.

Read Also: VP Shettima mourns Emir of Zuru

He hailed the late traditional ruler, a retired general, as a patriotic leader and a statesman of remarkable honour.

Tinubu recalled the Emir’s time as a former military governor of Bauchi State, where he served with notable distinction and dedication.

He further acknowledged the Emir’s bravery during the Nigerian Civil War, where he served gallantly as a young officer.

The President praised his leadership, which fostered peace, unity, and development across the Zuru Emirate and Kebbi.

He prayed for the Emir’s eternal rest and urged divine comfort for his family and the people of Zuru. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

‎MUYI/KTO

Mark mourns late Emir of Zuru

The National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Sen. David Mark, has paid tribute to the late Emir of Zuru, Sani Sami.

Mark described the late Emir as a gallant soldier, a patriot, and a traditional ruler of honour whose passing marks a great loss to Nigeria.

In a statement issued by his Media Adviser, Paul Mumeh, Mark said Emir Sami lived a life of courage, discipline, and sacrifice in service and leadership.

He recalled that Sami, a retired general, served Nigeria with distinction as a fine officer of the Nigerian Army before becoming Emir of Zuru.

Read Also: VP Shettima mourns Emir of Zuru

According to him, the late Emir upheld the values of peace, unity, and development during his reign, which brought stability and progress to the Zuru Emirate.

Mark noted that Sami was a bridge-builder and custodian of culture whose wise counsel and moderation will be deeply missed by his people.

He stressed that the passing of the Emir is not only a huge loss to the Zuru Emirate and Kebbi, but also to Nigeria.

Mark extended heartfelt condolences to the late Emir’s immediate family, the Zuru Emirate Council, the Kebbi State Government, and the Nigerian Army.

He prayed God to grant the Emir eternal rest and give his loved ones the fortitude to bear what he described as an irreparable loss.

(NAN)