Trump threatens to sue Rupert Murdoch over Wall Street Journal Epstein letter report

Former U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed to take legal action against media mogul Rupert Murdoch and the Wall Street Journal over a controversial report linking Trump to Jeffrey Epstein.

The report, published by the Journal, featured a drawing of a nude woman and a letter bearing Trump’s name, allegedly part of a 2003 birthday album for the late financier Epstein. The publication has stirred intense reactions, especially from Trump, who took to his Truth Social platform Thursday night to slam the story as “fake” and announce plans to sue.

“I told Rupert Murdoch it was a scam, that he shouldn’t print this fake story. But he did, and now I’m going to sue his ass off — and that of his third-rate newspaper,” Trump wrote.

He doubled down on Friday, threatening legal action and stating: “I look forward to getting Rupert Murdoch to testify in my lawsuit against him and his ‘pile of garbage’ newspaper, the WSJ.”

Read Also: ‘Trump plans large immigration raid in Chicago on Tuesday’

Although Trump frequently threatens media organizations with lawsuits, he does not always pursue them. In this case, it remains unclear on what grounds he intends to sue, though his camp cited “defamatory lies” as the cause.

The threat marks a new twist in the long, complicated relationship between Trump and Murdoch — who controls several conservative outlets, including Fox News and the Journal. Their relationship has fluctuated over the years, swinging between alliance and conflict depending on political winds.

A Wall Street Journal spokesperson declined to comment on the legal threats or claims that Trump directly warned Murdoch ahead of the report’s release.

However, Trump’s team insists that he personally told Murdoch the letter was fake and that Murdoch reportedly claimed he would handle it, but “did not have the power to do so.” Trump’s statement also accused WSJ editor Emma Tucker of ignoring direct warnings from both him and campaign aide Karoline Leavitt.

Insiders had long speculated that Trump’s camp was trying to suppress a damaging story related to Epstein. The former president previously dismissed the growing Epstein scandal as a “hoax” and lashed out at his own supporters who expressed concern, calling them “stupid” and “foolish.”

Despite the pressure, the Journal moved forward with the publication. The article, titled “Jeffrey Epstein’s Friends Sent Him Bawdy Letters for a 50th Birthday Album. One Was From Donald Trump,” quickly climbed to the top of the outlet’s most-read stories and appeared prominently on the front page of its Friday print edition.

Inside the newsroom, WSJ journalists expressed pride in the editorial team’s decision to run the piece despite mounting political pressure. Several staff members reportedly described the move as “brave.”

As of now, Trump has not officially filed the lawsuit.

Trump signs order banning all trans athletes from women’s events

Donald Trump has signed an executive order banning all transgender athletes from competing in girl’s and women’s sports.

Trump’s order “Keeping Men Out of Women’s Sports,” aims to grant federal agencies the ability to review funding to high schools, universities and grassroot sporting events. “With this executive order, the war on women’s sports is over,” Trump said at the signing ceremony at the East Room of the White House.

He was surrounded by girls as well as lawmakers and female athletes who were supportive of the ban, including swimmer Riley Gaines. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the order “upholds the promise of Title IX” and will require “immediate action, including enforcement actions, against schools and athletic associations” that do not allow single-sex sports or single-sex locker rooms for women.

Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programmes that receive federal funding. Trump added: “If you let men take over women’s sports teams or invade your locker rooms, you will be investigated for violations of Title IX and risk your federal funding.”

Read Also: Donald Trump to be sworn in as US president today

He added the order would cover the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles and would deny visas for transgender athletes hoping to take part in the games. White House officials have said the move is popular with Americans and argued the order would ensure “fairness” in women’s sports.

According to a 2023 Gallup poll, 69 per cent of respondents believe transgender athletes should be able to play on teams that match the gender they were assigned to at birth. Only 29 per cent of respondents said transgender athletes should be able to play on teams that match their gender identity.

Enforcing the order will be a priority for the Education Department as it works to penalise schools that allow transgender athletes to compete. The department has already opened an inquiry into public schools in Denver, Colorado, that replaced a girl’s bathroom with an all-gender one despite leaving another exclusive to boys.

But Human Rights Campaign, a US-based LGBTQ advocacy group, president Kelley Robinson said the order “exposes young people to harassment and discrimination.” She added the order would also result in “emboldening people to question the gender of kids who don’t fit a narrow view of how they’re supposed to dress or look.”

According to a 2022 Williams Institute study, only 1.6 million people (or 0.6 per cent) of people in the US aged 13 and over identify as transgender. This also includes 1.4 per cent of youth aged between 13 and 17.

The executive order is one of several signed by Trump since he took office last month. Many of his orders have been challenged in the courts.

Newsnow

Trump signs order withdrawing US from UN bodies

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday signed an executive order withdrawing Washington from a number of United Nations bodies, including its Human Rights Council (UNHRC), and setting up a broader review of US funding for the multilateral organization.

The executive order said it withdrew Washington from UNHRC and the main UN relief agency for Palestinians (UNRWA), and would review involvement in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

The moves were made in protest against what White House staff secretary Will Scharf described as “anti-American bias” at the UN agencies.

The 47 members of the UN Human Rights Council are elected by the General Assembly to three-year terms, with the United States ending its latest term on December 31. It currently has observer status at the body.

Tuesday’s order would appear to end all US participation in the council’s activities, which include reviews of countries’ human rights records and specific allegations of rights abuses.

“More generally, the executive order calls for review of American involvement and funding in the UN in light of the wild disparities and levels of funding among different countries,” said Scharf.

Trump highlighted the “tremendous potential” of the UN but said it is “not being well run.”

Read Also: ‘Trump plans large immigration raid in Chicago on Tuesday’

“It should be funded by everybody, but we’re disproportionate, as we always seem to be,” he said.

Trump has long railed against Washington’s levels of funding of multilateral bodies, calling for other countries to increase their contributions, notably at military alliance NATO.

UNRWA is the chief aid agency for Palestinians, with many of the 1.9 million people displaced by the war in Gaza dependent on its deliveries for survival.

Under Trump, Washington has backed a move by Israel to ban the agency, after the US ally accused UNRWA of spreading hate material.

US funding of UNRWA was halted in January 2024 by the administration of then-president Joe Biden after Israel accused 12 of its employees of involvement in Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attack.

A series of probes found some “neutrality related issues” at UNRWA, but found no evidence for Israel’s chief allegations, and most other donors that had similarly suspended funding resumed their financial support.

Earlier in his latest term, Trump also withdrew from the Paris climate accord and began withdrawing from the World Health Organization, of which it is the largest donor.

Each of the withdrawals has been a repeat of the Republican billionaire’s first term in office, which ended in 2021.

AFP

Donald Trump to be sworn in as US president today

Donald Trump is set to be sworn in as president of the United States in Washington on Monday, returning to the White House for a second term four years after his initial re-election bid ended in defeat.

Trump, a Republican, will replace outgoing President Joe Biden in the top U.S. political office at noon (1900 GMT), two and a half months after defeating outgoing Vice President Kamala Harris in the U.S. presidential election.

Biden had defeated Trump in 2020, but stepped aside as the Democratic candidate mid-campaign in July amid intense concerns about his age and mental fitness.

Trump, who has long refused to acknowledge his defeat in the 2020 election, ultimately stayed away from Biden’s swearing-in ceremony in January 2021, breaking with tradition.

Earlier that month, Trump’s insistence that he won and that his “victory” was stolen from him led to the storming of the Capitol in Washington, the seat of the U.S. Congress, by his supporters.

Read Also: ‘Trump plans large immigration raid in Chicago on Tuesday’

Biden, on the other hand, is set to attend the ceremony as per tradition.

In the morning, Trump is scheduled to attend a service at St. John’s Church in Washington.

After the swearing-in ceremony, the Bidens are then set to receive the Trumps for tea at the White House.

The inauguration was originally meant to take place outside on the west side of the Capitol as usual, but was relocated indoors as Washington was experiencing stuck in sub-zero temperatures.

After taking the oath of office, Trump will deliver his inaugural speech as the 47th President of the United States of America.

(dpa/NAN)